Saturday, September 3, 2011

Week of 9/5

Dear Parents,

I hope you all enjoyed a nice 4 (or 3) day weekend!

Thank you very much for coming to Back-to-School night.  I covered a lot that evening, and I still feel like there was much left to say!  I hope you all got a better idea of the kindergarten program.  If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to e-mail me.  Thank you also for your support with the CCP!  I know it's a big check to write, especially if you have more than one student at the school, and I truly appreciate your support of the kindergarten "extras." If you still have forms to turn in, please try to have those for me on Tuesday morning.  Thank you.

This week, we will continue with our overview of the alphabet. We will be covering letters Gg-Jj. We will also be studying the five senses. I have a fun book with some hands-on activities that I do with the children, ending with doing a taste test of different apples for "taste". We will continue on our math topic on sorting, and we will also be working on number writing in a book called, "My Beary Good Book of Numbers."

In the next couple of weeks, we will be working on our first Social Studies unit on being a Good Citizen. This is basically an overview of rules in the classroom and rules in our community. Some newsprint "booklets" accompany the Social Studies program.

We have also been learning how to spell color words through singing some catchy tunes. We are introducing a new song each week. You may have enjoyed hearing your children sing the "red" song last week.

Of course, next week is a big week for us. We will begin sharing on the 12th. Our first share topic is "toy in a bag." The topic lasts for the whole week, (each week is a different topic) but your child's share day never changes. Please see the "Sharing Info & Schedule" link to the right for your child's share day.

Homework will also begin next week on the 14th.  Finally, centers will begin next week on Monday. I am working on the helper schedule and will have it out this week. If you signed up to help with centers on Monday, be prepared to possibly come in on the 14th!

We are looking forward to a fun short week ahead! See you Tuesday.

UPCOMING EVENTS:
Monday, September 5th: No School-- Labor Day
Friday, September 9th: Back-to-School Movie Night 
Thursday, September 22nd: Family Science Night
Wednesday, September 28th: First Wacky Wednesday
Wednesday, September 28th: Willow Street Pizza Fundraiser
Friday, September 30th: Picture Day