Sunday, October 9, 2011

Week of 10/9

Dear Parents,

Last week, I sent home an envelope with all the information about the walkathon.  The envelope is what you will use for collecting donations.  On the day of the walkathon, you DO NOT bring your money.  You just bring the envelope with your sponsor information/amounts, and the walkathon committee will figure out how much you owe after your child completes his/her laps.

The children all seem very excited about the walkathon, so I hope to see you all there on the 22nd!  Not only does it help raise money for all of the wonderful enrichment programs at our school, but it is a great community event.  There is so much to do besides the walking!  Come out and enjoy the day.

And...since I've seen many of you on the soccer fields, I wanted to let you know that if you have to leave for a soccer game (or come a little later because of soccer) please let the people at the check-in desk know.  Your child gets some lap credit for soccer games or other outside sports obligations that they have.

Along with the Walk-a-thon, the Scholastic Book Fair also begins on Thursday the 20th.  It will be open in the morning (8:00-9:00) at lunch (noon) and after school (2:00-3:30).  It will also be open during the Walk-a-thon.  Check it out-- there will be some great selections there, and a percentage of the sales goes to support the Alta Vista Library. 

In class this week, we will be focusing on the letter Mm. We will also have a new sight word, see. We will also begin some Halloween projects. We have a fun book coming up that is about a ghost who changes colors, depending on what he eats. We will have some great discussions about food and colors!

In math, we will start a new math topic tomorrow on numbers 6-10.  Please continue reviewing the concept of "more" and "fewer" with your children, as that was difficult for many.  Ask how many you would have if you have one more, one fewer, etc.

This week's sharing is Letter of the Week sharing again-- this time for the letter Mm.  This is a change from what was on the calendar, but it is great to give the children an opportunity to think about things that start with the letter of the week.  Three clues about what is inside the bag is appreciated.  If your child shares on Friday, s/he may share any other day this week due to the Friday inservice day.

This week, I will begin assessing your children at center time so that I have up-to-date information to share with you at conference time. I will be working with them individually to check them on things such as letter recognition, letter sounds, rhyming, etc. I look forward to sharing this information with you in early November.  This of course means that it is also time to sign up for conferences!  I will be sending out my conference sign-up sheet via e-mail this week.  When you receive the form, please select THREE times that are convenient for you, and I will send out a confirmation with your time as soon as I put together my schedule.  The sooner you return the form (either e-mail your time preferences to me, or print out the form and send it back to me) the more likely you will get your first choice for a time!  Please note that I prefer to do one conference per child.  In the case of divorced parents, I prefer that we all come together at the same time to hear the same information so that we are all on the same page-- working together to help and support the child's learning.  If this is a huge problem, please let me know, but I have found that this has usually worked well in the past.

Just a reminder that our first field trip is also coming up on Monday, October 17th.  Since we have Friday the 14th off, we really need you to mark your calendars and remember that the afternoon class is on a Wacky Wednesday schedule that day.  All children need to arrive promptly, as we will depart immediately on the bus.  Please have children use the restroom at home/daycare right before coming to school.  Children also need to wear their class t-shirt.  This helps me keep track of the children, as they are easy to spot in their same-colored t-shirts.  If it is chilly that day, please wear a long-sleeved shirt UNDER the class t-shirt so that I can still see it.  Thank you everyone for filling out the permission slips for the trip-- we will be heading to the Sunnyvale Community Center to see a live theater performance of "The Little Mermaid."  

Blue bags, with homework folders inside are due tomorrow.  Thanks for being so great about returning those!

Upcoming Events:
10/14: No School, Staff Development Day
10/17: Field Trip to See a Play: Wacky Weds. Schedule
10/22: Walk-a-thon
10/26: October's Wacky Wednesday
10/31: Halloween Parade @ 1:15
11/7-11/17: Parent-Teacher Conferences
11/11: No School, Veteran's Day
11/21: Kindergarten Friendship Feast @ 10:15 (a.m.) and 1:30 (p.m.)
11/22: Grandparents' Day @ 10:30 (a.m.) and 11:30 (p.m.)
11/30: November's Wacky Wednesday
12/16: Kindergarten Nutcracker Performance @ 10:00 (a.m.) & 1:30 (p.m.)