I can't believe we are only two weeks from extending our kindergarten day! I'd like to ask that parents who have submitted their vaccination card via "Informed K-12" to please email me to let me know that you have done so. There seems to be a glitch in the system, and I am not receiving any confirmations of uploads. If you email me and let me know you have completed the form, I will follow up to make sure I am receiving that information so that I can roll out my helper sign-ups ASAP. I will send out the helper sign-up just to those who have submitted the form & vaccination card to the district. I am so excited to have the helpers all join us starting on the week of the 27th!
Thank you also for signing your child up on my assessment schedule. This will help me to best meet the differing needs of the students in my class during small group instruction. I am continuing to meet with students both this week and next week. If you need to check the schedule, you can view it here. Please note that you can no longer edit this document. If you need to reschedule your child's time, please email me in advance of the appointment. I have had several students miss their appointments, and it is getting really difficult to reschedule, so please make every effort to mark this on your calendars and come at the time you signed up for. Thank you.
Language Arts
In language arts, we continue introducing letters and letter sounds with letters Jj, Ee, Oo and Qq this week. We will also introduce the sight words can and and. You will continue to receive the sight word sentences for the words we've introduced each week in your child's Wednesday envelope. Please have your child read those to you at home. If you're also interested in further review of the letter sounds with your child, you can find the letter sound video we watch in class, called "The Better Alphabet Song" here.
Math
In math, we will continue with the topic Numbers to 10. This week, we will continue to focus more on 10 frames as a way to quickly visualize a number. More information on this topic can be found here.
Kimochis
I hope you were able to hang your child's feelings/Zones of regulation poster somewhere in your house so that you can start using that language to talk to your children about how they are feeling. This week, we will introduce our first Kimochi (Kimochi means "Feeling" in Japanese), Lovey Dove.
Virtual Field Trip
We have scheduled a couple of virtual field trips through the California Academy of Sciences. We have our first one on Tuesday the 21st. We will be exploring shadows using the book Bear's Shadow by Frank Asch. These were great programs last year during Distance Learning, and I am looking forward to seeing Tuesday's program.
C.A.G.E. Drive
Tomorrow is the last day to contribute to the C.A.G.E. drive if you want to help the Grasshoppers win a pizza party! These funds go toward all the enrichment programs offered at Alta Vista, such as special classroom projects, P.E., Art Vistas, and Cornerstone. If you haven't had a chance to donate yet, please consider donating by going to this link: https://altavistahsc.membershiptoolkit.com/store
Upcoming Events
Tuesday 9/21: Virtual Field Trip: "Moonbear's Shadow"
Monday, 9/27: Extended Kindergarten Days begin (8:15-1:40, except Wednesdays, dismissal is at 1:15)
Wednesday, 10/11: Virtual Field Trip: "Mission to the Moon"